Kiwi Linux is an Ubuntu derivative primarily made for Romanian, Hungarian and English speaking users.
Kiwi Linux is slightly a modified Ubuntu Desktop/Install CD for the i386 architecture, that is in sync with Ubuntu's release cycles and uses its package archives. Hence it is easy to switch to and from Ubuntu and all the security and bugfix updates from Ubuntu are getting into Kiwi Linux automatically.
The latest release, Kiwi Linux 10.08 is based on Ubuntu 10.04.1. Differences from it include :
- All languages but en,hu,ro removed
- Chromium instead of Firefox
- Shotwell, Pidgin, Gnote, VLC replaces some of the Ubuntu default apps
- Evolution removed, no mail client at all on the CD but the desktop-webmail helper
- Flash, audio and video codecs for restricted formats, support for encrypted DVDs
- Compiz extra settings GUI
- p7zip, unrar for better interop with Windows users' archive files
Kiwi Linux is built from the official Ubuntu and the Kiwi Linux PPA PPA in Launchpad.